You Can setup Netgear Range Extender easily with two Methods
Manually with user interface (Without WPS)
Automatic (With WPS) / No login required
Method 1 – Setup Netgear Range Extender manually with User Interface (No WPS Required)
Plug in and reset your Extender:
- Make sure your extender in powered on. If you don’t see lights re-plug it and press on-off button on extender itself.
- Reset Extender by using a pin or a paper clip. Press and hold the pin hole in either side or back of your extender. Press it for 20 seconds It is also mentioned by a sticker to reset the device.
- Wait for all light to come up, normally it takes a minute.
Connect computer or mobile or tablet to your extender’s network
- To setup Netgear extender, connect your any device with the extender for the first time. We recommend a computer.
- Netgear Range Extender’s default SSID(Broadcast Name) is NETGEAR_EXT. Extender doesn’t have password by default, In case it asks for the password please use the word password as the default password.
- You might see a message that internet is not available, ignore this warning as we are still setting up Netgear range extender.
Open Web Browser to setup netgear range extender
- Open you favorite web browser (Recommended – Firefox / Chrome / Edge)
- Type mywifiext.net in the address/URL bar. Alternatively you can type 192.168.1.250 which is the default IP Address to setup netgear range extender.
- You will now we an extender setup page.
- Click on New Extender Setup
Setup New Login Credentials
- Before setting up netgear extender, page will ask you to setup netgear extender login credentials.
- Recommended username is admin and use any password that you want. This password should be different from your WiFi password.
- Select and answer security questions. This in important in case you forget above password to login the user interface.
NOTE: Your extender might ask you to use Netgear Genie to setup netgear extender. Accept this and it will now search your available WiFi Routers.
Setup Netgear Range Extender now
- Select your Routers Network that you want to extend and click next.
- It will ask for the routers password. Please type your WiFi Password to connect the extender with router.
- Click Next / Continue. Extender will take a moment to setup new connection.
Connect with Extender
When extender is setup, it will display the new network name (SSID) as SSID_2GEXT or SSID_ _5GEXT. Where SSID is the old WIFI name of your router.
For more help with existing passwords, follow Netgear Extender Login Password
You’ve now successfully setup your netgear range extender.
Method 2 – Setup Netgear Range Extender with WPS button
Plug in and reset your Extender: (Repeat Step)
Make sure your extender in powered on. If you don’t see lights re-plug it and press on-off button on extender itself.
Reset Extender by using a pin or a paper clip. Press and hold the pin hole in either side or back of your extender. Press it for 20 seconds It is also mentioned by a sticker to reset the device.
Wait for all light to come up, normally it takes a minute.
- Locate WPS button on your extender. Press if for 3 seconds. Light may flash.
- Go to your router and similarly, press WPS button for 3 seconds.
- Wait for a minute.
- Extender and Router are now connected.
- WHAT IS WPS?
Connect your Devices with Extender
- Connect your Phone/Computer/Tablet with extender.
- Extender’s new network name will be like
SSID_2GEXT or SSID_ _5GEXT. Where SSID is the old WIFI name of your router.
Note: With WPS Netgear Extender Setup the WiFi password will remain same as it is on your original Router.